ERI FEB RAS
|Regionalistica 2021 Volume 8 number 6 pages 101–115|
|Title of the article||The Anti-Crisis Policy of the Korean Government and Bank of Korea During the COVID-19 Pandemic|
|Author||Suslov Denis Vladimirovich
candidate of sciences (economics), senior research fellow
Economic Research Institute FEB RAS
153, Tikhookeanskaya Street, Khabarovsk, Russia, 680042
|Abstract||The analysis of the general economic and institutional problems of the development of the Republic of Korea in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic was carried out. The parameters are given and the assessment of measures of state economic policy to eliminate economic shocks in the country is carried out. It was revealed that the economic policy of responding to the crisis shocks of the COVID-19 pandemic by the government of the country was timely and adequate to the current crisis facts. It was found that timely measures of fiscal policy within the framework of additional budgets and monetary policy of the Bank of Korea, in general, led to the return of the Korean economy in the first half of 2021 on the development trajectory with a positive growth rates (about 2–4% annually), which are expected to be achieved in the medium term.|
|Keywords||Republic of Korea ♦ COVID-19 ♦ government ♦ economic policy measures ♦ «Korean New Deal» ♦ Bank of Korea|
|For citation||Suslov D.V. The Anti-Crisis Policy of the Korean Government and Bank of Korea During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2021. Vol. 8. No. 6. Pp. 101–115. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/reg.2021.6.101 (In Russian)|
|References||1. Agabekov S.I., Levina E.A. Corporations and Economic Growth in South Korea. EKO [ECO Journal]. 2017. No. 3 (513). Pp. 134–146. (In Russian)
2. Asmolov K.V. Two Koreas Against COVID-19. Problemy Dal’nego Vostoka = Far Eastern Studies. 2020. No. 3. Pp. 40–52. (In Russian)
3. Kukla M.P. Republic of Korea: Towards Creative Economy. Aziya i Afrika segodnya = Asia and Africa Today. 2016. No. 9 (710). Pp. 27–32. (In Russian)
4. Renzin O.M., Kuchuk V.V. Transformation of Institutional Instruments in the NEA Countries: South Korea. Vlast’ i upravlenie na Vostoke Rossii [Power and Administration in the East of Russia]. 2020. No. 4 (93). Pp. 8–15. (In Russian)
5. A UN Framework for the Immediate Socio-Economic Response to COVID-19. Available at: https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/730201/republic-korea-coronavirus-disease-pandemic-response.pdf (accessed 17 July 2021).
6. All About Korea’s Response to COVID-19. Available at: https://www.mofa.go.kr/eng/brd/m_22591/down.do?brd_id=20543&seq=35&data_tp=A&file_seq=1 (accessed 17 July 2021).
7. Assessment of COVID-19 Response in the Republic of Korea. https://doi.org/10.22617/TCS210133-2
8. Coronavirus Politics: The Comparative Politics and Policy of COVID-19. Ed. by S.L. Greer, E.J. King, E.M. Da Fonseca, A. Peralta-Santos. https://doi.org/10.3998/mpub.11927713
9. Global Economic Prospects, June 2020. Available at: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/33748 (accessed 17 September 2021).
10. ILO Monitor: COVID-19 and the World of Work. Fifth Edition. Updated Estimates and Analysis. Available at: https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---dcomm/documents/briefingnote/wcms_749399.pdf (accessed 17 July 2021).
11. Swiston A. Korea’s Growth Prospects: Overcoming Demographics and COVID-19. IMF Working Paper. 2021. WP/21/92. Available at: https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2021/03/26/Koreas-Growth-Prospects-Overcoming-Demographics-and-COVID-19-50261 (accessed 17 July 2021).
12. The Korean New Deal. National Strategy for a Great Transformation. Available at: https://english.moef.go.kr/skin/doc.html?fn=Korean%20New%20Deal.pdf&rs=/result/upload/mini/2020/07/ (accessed 17 July 2021).
13. The Republic of Korea’s Coronavirus Disease Pandemic Response and Health System Preparedness. https://doi.org/10.22617/TCS210332-2
14. World Economic Outlook Update. Fault Lines Widen in the Global Recovery. 2021. July. Available at: www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/Issues/2021/07/27/world-economic-outlook-update-july-2021 (accessed 17 September 2021).
15. World Economic Outlook: Managing Divergent Recoveries. 2021. April. Available at: https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/Issues/2021/03/23/world-economic-outlook-april-2021 (accessed 17 September 2021).