ERI FEB RAS
|Regionalistica 2021 Volume 8 number 6 pages 85-100|
|Title of the article||The Small Economies of North-East Asia During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Mongolia and the DPRK|
|Author||Izotov Dmitry Aleksandrovich
candidate of sciences (economics), leading research fellow
Economic Research Institute FEB RAS
153, Tikhookeanskaya Street, Khabarovsk, Russia, 680042
|Abstract||The purpose of the review is to determine the measures of Mongolia and the Korean People’s Democratic Republic government policy to support the economies in the face of containing COVID-19, as well as to identify the factors that determine the short- and medium-term prospects for their economic growth. It is shown that these two countries demonstrated a low level of COVID-19 spread, achieved by opposite measures of the policy. It has been established that Mongolia is implementing a large package of economic support measures, and the DPRK is taking measures of nationalization and indirect taxation of population income. It is determined that the main factor in the recovery of these economies is the expansion of trade relations with China.|
|Keywords||pandemic ♦ COVID-19 ♦ economic policy measures ♦ economic growth ♦ exports ♦ imports ♦ forecast ♦ Mongolia ♦ DPRK|
|For citation||Izotov D.A. The Small Economies of North-East Asia During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Mongolia and the DPRK. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2021. Vol. 8. No. 6. Pp. 85–100. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/reg.2021.6.85 (In Russian)|
|References||1. Jargalsaikhan D. Wealth Fund in 2050. Available at: https://jargaldefacto.com/article/fond-blagosostoyaniya-2sh5sh (accessed 5 November 2021). (In Russian)
2. Izotov D.A. Economic Policy Responses to COVID-19 of the Northeast Asia Countries. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika = Spatial Economics. 2021. Vol. 17. No. 3. Pp. 156–178. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/se.2021.3.156-178 (In Russian)
3. Lankov A. Without Snowballs and Fishing. How North Korea Fights Coronavirus. Available at: https://carnegie.ru/commentary/85026 (accessed 5 November 2021). (In Russian)
4. Lankov A. Revival of the Market Economy in North Korea. Available at: https://carnegieendowment.org/files/CP_Lankov2015_web_Rus.pdf (accessed 5 November 2021). (In Russian)
5. Lankov A. From the Crisis and Back. Why North Korea is Rolling Back Economic Reforms. Available at: https://carnegie.ru/commentary/83630 (accessed 5 November 2021). (In Russian)
6. Lankov A. North of the 38th Parallel. How Do They Live in the DPRK. Moscow, 2020. 532 p. (In Russian)
7. Lankov A. Market Economy of North Korea: How the DPRK’s Foreign Trade is Arranged. Available at: https://meduza.io/feature/2016/10/11/rynochnaya-ekonomika-severnoy-korei-kak-ustroena-vneshnyaya-torgovlya-kndr (accessed 5 November 2021). (In Russian)
8. Minakir P.A. The Economy of the Pandemic: A Far Eastern Russian Aspect. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika = Spatial Economics. 2020. Vol. 16. No. 4. Pp. 7–22. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/se.2020.4.007-022 (In Russian)
9. Ushakov D.V. Mongolia. Social Measures to Counter the Spread of COVID-19. Aziya i Afrika segodnya = Asia and Africa Today. 2021. No. 2. Pp. 44–50. http://dx.doi.org/10.31857/S032150750013959-6 (In Russian)
10. Economy and Economic Policy in the Context of a Pandemic. Ed. by A.L. Kudrin. Moscow, 2021. 344 p. (In Russian)
11. Char S. North Korea’s Covid-19 Choice. Greater Diplomatic and Economic Isolation. Available at: https://www.nbr.org/publication/north-koreas-covid-19-choice-greater-diplomatic-and-economic-isolation/ (accessed 5 November 2021).
12. Country Policy Responses. Available at: https://www.ilo.org/global/topics/coronavirus/regional-country/country-responses/lang--en/index.htm#MN (accessed 5 November 2021).
13. Dorjdagva J., Batbaatar E., Kauhanen J. Mass Testing for COVID-19 in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: «One Door – One Test» Approach. The Lancet Regional Health – Western Pacific. 2021. Vol. 9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lanwpc.2021.100149
14. Erkhembayar R., Dickinson E., Badarch D., Narula I., Warburton D., Thomas G.N., Ochir C., Manaseki-Holland S. Early Policy Actions and Emergency Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic in Mongolia: Experiences and Challenges. The Lancet Global Health. 2020. Vol. 8. No. 9. Pp. 1234–1241. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30295-3
15. Global Economic Prospects. 2021. June. Available at: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/35647/9781464816659.pdf (accessed 5 November 2021).
16. Hong J.H.Coronavirus Shock and North Korean Economy. Available at: https://www.kinu.or.kr/pyxis-api/1/digital-files/271a3667-e0ca-4741-91fd-63d6388ca0ec (accessed 5 November 2021).
17. Hong J.H., Kim S.-J. North Korea’s Income – Population Puzzle. Available at: https://repo.kinu.or.kr/bitstream/2015.oak/12542/1/study%20series%2021-02.pdf (accessed 5 November 2021).
18. Jones R.S. North Korean Economy Shrinks in 2020. Available at: https://keia.org/the-peninsula/north-korean-economy-shrinks-in-2020/ (accessed 5 November 2021).
19. Kim B.-Y. North Korea’s GDP: Features and Issues. In: Dialogue on the North Korea Economy. 2021. July. Available at: https://www.kdi.re.kr/kdi_eng/brd/9841/North_Korea%E2%80%99s_GDP:_Features_and_Issues&pp=10&mcd=003002 (accessed 5 November 2021).
20. Koen V., Beom J. North Korea: The Last Transition Economy? Available at: https://www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=ECO/WKP%282020%2915&docLanguage=En (accessed 5 November 2021).
21. Lankov A., Ward P., Yoo H., Kim J. Making Money in the State: North Korea’s Pseudo-State Enterprises in the Early 2000s. Journal of East Asian Studies. 2017. Vol. 17. No. 1. Pp. 51–67. https://doi.org/10.1017/jea.2016.30
22. Lee J.-W., Pyun J.H. North Korea’s Economic Integration and Growth Potential. Asian Economic Journal. 2018. Vol. 32. Issue 3. Pp. 301–325. https://doi.org/10.1111/asej.12157
23. Policy Responses to COVID-19. Available at: https://www.imf.org/en/Topics/imf-and-covid19/Policy-Responses-to-COVID-19 (accessed 5 November 2021).
24. The DPRK Economic Outlook 2020 / 2021. Ed. by S. Lee. Available at: https://www.kdi.re.kr/kdi_eng/pub/17150/2020_2021_The_DPRK_Economic_Outlook (accessed 5 November 2021).
25. Turgenbayar B. The Assessment of Mongolian Sovereign Funds. Mongolian Journal of International Affairs. 2020. Vol. 21. Pp. 116–143. https://doi.org/10.5564/mjia.v21i0.1438