ERI FEB RAS
|Regionalistica 2019 Volume 6 number 5 pages 50-61|
|Title of the article||Activation of China’s Policy in the Arctic: Background, Problems, Prospects|
|Author||Leonov Sergey Nikolaevich
doctor of economics, professor, leading researcher
Economic Research Institute FEB RAS
153, Tikhookeanskaya Street, Khabarovsk, Russia, 680042
|Abstract||The growing international interest in the Arctic is due to the expected climate changes. Great interest in the development of energy and mineral resources on the shelf of the Arctic seas, the expansion of shipping and fishing is expressed not only by the Arctic countries, but also by the countries of East Asia. These States can get the maximum benefits from year-round operation of the Northern sea route (NSR). Since 2013, China has been among the thirteen observer countries of the Arctic Council and is actively involved in solving trans-regional problems. In January 2018 China has published a «White paper» on the Arctic policy of the country. The article considers the prerequisites for the activation of China's activity in the Arctic, identifies problems and assesses the consequences of this process.|
|Keywords||Arctic ♦ China ♦ Arctic policy|
|For citation||Leonov S.N. Activation of China’s Policy in the Arctic: Background, Problems, Prospects. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2019. Vol. 6. No. 5. Pp. 50–61. (In Russian). DOI: 10.14530/reg.2019.5.50. (In Russian).|
|References||1. Arctic Space of Russia in XXI Century: Development, Organization of Management. Ed. by V.V. Ivanter. S.-Petersburg, 2016. 1040 p. (In Russian)
2. Wan J. Russian-Chinese Relations in the Arctic: Problems and Prospects. Nauchno-tekhnicheskiye vedomosti SPbGPU. Gumanitarnyye i obshchestvennyye nauki [St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University Journal. Humanities and Social Sciences]. 2016. No. 1. Pp. 92–97. (In Russian)
3. Gao T. Collaboration between Russia and China in the Arctic in the Format of Development Zones. Vestnik universiteta [Bulletin of the University]. 2018. No. 4. Pp. 43–50. (In Russian)
4. Glumova Z.E. Cooperation between Russia and China in the Oil and Gas Sphere as Exemplified by the Joint Gas Project «Power Of Siberia» and the Polar Project «Yamal-LNG» (Based on Chinese Media). Rossiisko-Kitaiskie Issledovaniya [Russian and Chinese Studies]. 2019. Vol. 3. No. 2. Pp. 35–41. (In Russian)
5. Gomilevskaya G.A., Sakun V.S. Opportunities for Public-Private Partnership to Create and Development of Cross-Border Clusters on the Example of Cluster «Dzhalinda» in the Amur Region. Territoriya novykh vozmozhnostey. Vestnik Vladivostokskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta ekonomiki i servisa [Тhe Territory Of New Opportunities. The Herald of Vladivostok State University of Economics and Service]. 2016. Vol. 8. No. 4. Pp. 92–109. (In Russian)
6. Evdokimov G. Arctic Transport Fleet. In: Maritime Strategy of Russia and the Development Priorities of the Arctic. Apatity, 2013. Pp. 170–173. (In Russia)
7. Zhuravel V.P. China, Republic of Korea, Japan in the Arctic: Politics, Economy, Security. Arktika i Sever [Arctic and North]. 2016. No. 24. Pp. 112–145. (In Russian)
8. Zaostrovskikh E.A. Eastern Arctic Seaports and Support Zones of Northern Sea Route. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2018. Vol. 5. No. 6. Pp. 92–106. DOI: 10.14530/reg.2018.6.92. (In Russian).
9. Comissina I.N. Arctic Vector of China's Foreign Policy. Problemy natsional'noy strategii [Problems of National Strategy]. 2015. No. 1. Pp. 54–73. (In Russian)
10. Kornilov V.D. Why the West Does Not Hurry Transit in the Arctic. Morskiye vesti Rossii [Marine News of Russia]. 2013. No. 16. Pp. 8–9. (In Russian)
11. Leonov S.N. Cooperation of Russia and China in the Arctic. Rossiisko-kitaiskie issledovaniya [Russian and Chinese Studies]. 2019. Vol. 3. No. 3. Pp. 7–16. DOI: 10.17150/2587-7445.2019.3(3).7-16. (In Russian).
12. Leonov S.N. Problems of Labor Supply of The Russian Arctic Regions. Problemy sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Sibiri [Problems of Social and Economic Development of Siberia]. 2018. No. 2. Pp. 56–63. (In Russian)
13. Manukov S. «White Book» of China: Beijing Throws All Its Forces on the Development of the Arctic. Available at: https://planet-today.ru/geopolitika/item/82511-belaya-kniga-kitaya-pekin-brosaet-vse-sily-na-osvoenie-arktiki (accessed 8 October 2019). (In Russian)
14. Mitko A. Chinese Icebreakers on the NSR. Available at: https://ru.arctic.ru/analitic/20180419/737492.htm">https://ru.arctic.ru/analitic/20180419/737492.html">https://ru.arctic.ru/analitic/20180419/737492.html (accessed 8 October 2019). (In Russian)
15. Mikhailichenko V.V. Northern Sea Route – Russia’s National Transportation Route in the Arctic. In: Russian North: Modernization and Development. Moscow, 2012. Pp. 350–353. (In Russian)
16. Morozov Yu.V., Klimenko A.F. China and Other North-East Asian States in the «Arctic Race». Kitay v mirovoy i regional'noy politike. Istoriya i sovremennost' [China in World and Regional Politics. History and Modernity]. 2005. Vol. 20. No. 20. Pp. 173–191. (In Russian)
17. Yagya V. S., Kharlampieva N. To., Lagutina M. L. The Arctic – A New Region of China's Foreign Policy. Vestnik RUDN. Seriya: Mezhdunarodnyye otnosheniya [Bulletin of PFUR. International Relations Series]. 2015. No. 1. Pp. 43–52. (In Russian)
18. Action Plan on the Belt and Road Initiative. Available at: http://english.gov.cn/archive/publications/2015/03/30/content_281475080249035.htm (accessed 8 October 2019).
19. China’s Arctic Policy. The State Council Information Office of the People’s Republic of China. Jan. 2018. First Edition 2018. Available at: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-01/26/c_136926498.htm (accessed 8 October 2019).
20. Hansen C.O., Gronsedt P., Graversen C.L., Hendriksen C. Arctic Shipping – Commercial Opportunities and Challenges. URL: https://services-webdav.cbs.dk/doc/CBS.dk/Arctic%20Shipping%20-%20Commercial%20Opportunities%20and%20Challenges.pdf (accessed 8 October 2019).
21. Humpert M. China Publishes First Ever Comprehensive Arctic Policy. Available at: https://www.highnorthnews.com/en/china-publishes-first-ever-comprehensive-arctic-policy) (accessed 8 October 2019).
22. Review of Maritime Transport 2018. Available at: http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/rmt2018_ru.pdf (accessed 8 October 2019).