ERI FEB RAS
|Regionalistica 2020 Volume 7 number 4 pages 24-37|
|Title of the article||Exchange Rate Regime Changes and Portfolio Investment Flows in ASEAN Countries|
|Author||Dyomina Yana Valeryevna
PhD in economics, senior research fellow
Economic Research Institute FEB RAS
153, Tikhookeanskaya Street, Khabarovsk, Russia, 680042
|Abstract||The article analyzes the functional dependence between portfolio investment assets of ASEAN-5 countries and changes in exchange rate regimes (transition to a single currency basket). The regression analysis results show that there is no correlation between fluctuations of national currencies against each other and against the USD, as well as the value of the currency basket and portfolio investments assets of Indonesia and Malaysia. The transition to a single currency basket also does not affect the volume of assets of Singapore’s portfolio investments. However, there is a weak correlation between the volume of Singapore's assets and fluctuations of national currencies against each other and against the USD. Finally, for the Philippines and Thailand, monetary policy coordination will have a significant positive effect.|
|Keywords||ASEAN ♦ ASEAN+3 ♦ exchange rate regimes ♦ portfolio investment ♦ gravity model|
|For citation||Dyomina Y.V. Exchange Rate Regime Changes and Portfolio Investment Flows in ASEAN Countries. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2020. Vol. 7. No. 4. Pp. 24–37. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/reg.2020.4.24 (In Russian)|
|References||1. Dyomina Ya.V. Portfolio Investment Flows in ASEAN-5 Countries. In: Science Notes. Issue 17. Far East of Russia through the Prism of Regional and International Problems. Ed. by O.M. Prokapalo. Khabarovsk, 2019. Pp. 16–29. (In Russian)
2. Dyomina Ya.V. East Asian Countries: Competitive Devaluation and Formation of Gold and Foreign Exchange Reserves. Problemy Dalnego Vostoka [The Far Eastern Affairs]. 2019. No. 4. Pp. 37–46. http://dx.doi.org/10.31857/S013128120006094-4 (In Russian)
3. Dyomina Ya.V. Cross-Border Capital Flows in East Asia: Impact of Monetary Policy Measures. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika = Spatial Economics. 2019. Vol. 15. No. 3. Pp. 99–124. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/se.2019.3.099-124 (In Russian)
4. Kostyunina G.M. The Integration Model ASEAN+1: the Main Norms of Agreements and Effect on Foreign Economic Ties. Vestnik RUDN. Seriya: Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya [Vestnik RUDN. International Relations]. 2017. Vol. 17. No. 3. Pp. 441–457. http://dx.doi.org/10.22363/2313-0660-2017-17-3-441-457 (In Russian)
5. Potapov M.A. The Status and Prospects for Economic Development in East Asia. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations]. 2014. No. 1. Pp. 42–52. (In Russian)
6. Shumilov A. Estimating Gravity Models of International Trade: A Survey of Methods. Ekonomicheskiy zhurnal VShE [HSE Economic Journal]. 2017. Vol. 21. No. 2. Pp. 224–250. (In Russian)
7. Anderson J.E. A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation. American Economic Review. 1979. Vol. 69. No. 1. Pp. 106–116.
8. Anderson J.E., van Wincoop E. Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle. American Economic Review. 2003. Vol. 63. Pp. 881–892.
9. Annual Report on Exchange Arrangements and Exchange Restrictions 2018. International Monetary Fund. 2019. April. 86 p.
10. ASEAN Community Vision 2025. Available at: https://www.asean.org/wp-content/uploads/images/2015/November/aec-page/ASEAN-Community-Vision-2025.pdf (accessed 23 November 2019).
11. Bergstrand J.H. The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence. The Review of Economics and Statistics. 1985. Vol. 67. No. 3. Pp. 474–481. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1925976
12. Fleming M.J. Domestic Financial Policies under Fixed and Floating Exchange Rates. IMF Staff Papers. 1962. November. Vol. 9. Pp. 369–379.
13. Hovanov N.V., Kolari J.W., Sokolov M.V. Synthetic Money. International Review of Economics and Finance. 2007. Vol. 16. No. 2. Pp. 161–168. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.iref.2005.06.002
14. Ilzetzki E., Reinhart C., Rogoff K. Exchange Arrangements Entering the 21st Century: Which Anchor Will Hold? NBER Working Paper. No. 23134. 2017. February. 86 p.
15. Krugman P. A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking. 1979. Vol. 11. No. 3. Pp. 311–325.
16. Krugman P. Scale Economies, Product Differentiation and the Pattern of Trade. American Economic Review. 1980. Vol. 70. Pp. 950–959.
17. Park D., Shin I. What Hinders Cross-Border Portfolio Investment in East Asia? The Singapore Economic Review. 2013. Vol. 58. No. 2. Pp. 1–22. http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0217590813500124
18. Tinbergen J. Shaping the World Economy: Suggestions for an International Economic Policy. New York: Twentieth Century Fund, 1962. 330 p.