ERI FEB RAS
|Regionalistica 2018 Volume 5 number 5 pages 93-109|
|Title of the article||In Search for a New Paradigm of Regional Development: Foreign Experience and Russian Reality|
|Author||Pestsov Sergey Konstantinovich
doctor of political sciences, head of the department
Center for Asia-Pacific Studies, Institute of History, Archeology and Ethnography of the Peoples of the Far East FEB RAS
89, Pushkinskaya Str., Vladivostok, Russia, 690001
|Abstract||Changes in the overall global context of development and growing dissatisfaction with the results of regional policies in their previous forms have intensified in recent years discussions and the search for more effective and adequate approaches to managing spatial development. This article examines different options for transforming the general paradigm of regional politics, gradually emerging in the course of this process. One of them is an increasingly widespread worldwide approach, known as a place-based policy. The other is the dominant official discourse that determines the policy of the Russian state in the field of regional growth and development.|
|Keywords||region ♦ state ♦ regional policy ♦ spatial development ♦ regional growth strategies ♦ institutions of management ♦ competitive advantages of places|
|For citation||Pestsov S.K. In Search for a New Paradigm of Regional Development: Foreign Experience and Russian Reality. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2018. Vol. 5. No. 5. Pp. 93–109. DOI: 10.14530/reg.2018.5.93. (In Russian).|
|References||1. Altynbaev R.Z. Regional Policy in the Russian Federation: State and Development Prospects. Available at: http://federalbook.ru/files/FS/Soderjanie/FS-19/V/Altinbayev.pdf (accessed 12 July 2018). (In Russian)
2. Gadzhiev Y.A. Foreign Theories of Regional Economic Growth and Development. Ekonomika regiona [Economy of Region]. 2009. No. 2. Pp. 45–62. (In Russian)
3. Dzhabrailov R.A, Abbasova A.A, Mutalimov V.A. Regional Problems and Regional Policy in the Conditions of Modernization of the Russian Economy. Fundamental'nyye issledovaniya [Fundamental Research]. 2016. No. 3–1. Pp. 143–147. (In Russian)
4. D. Kozak Told the Senators About the Implementation of the Fundamentals of the State Policy of Regional Development of the Russian Federation for the Period Until 2025. Available at: http://council.gov.ru/events/news/86414/ (accessed 15 July 2013). (In Russian)
5. Zubarevich N.V. Regional Development and Regional Policy in Russia. EKO [ECO]. 2014. No. 4. Pp. 6–27. DOI: 10.30680/ECO0131-7652-2014-4-6-27. (In Russian).
6. Izutova O. V. Regional Policy: In Anticipation of Change. Available at: http://bujet.ru/article/317033.php (accessed 22 June 2018). (In Russian)
7. Kuznetsova O.V. Regional Policy in Russia: Debatable Problems of Present Stage. Regional'nye issledovaniya [Regional Studies]. 2016. No. 4. Pp. 10–16. (In Russian)
8. Melnikova L.V. Regional Science in Search of Consensus, Regional Policy in Search of Purpose. EKO [ECO]. 2014. No. 4. Pp. 28–51. DOI: 10.30680/ECO0131-7652-2014-4-28-51. (In Russian).
9. Moroshkina M.V. Theories of Economic Development and New Theories of Regional Growth. In: Innovative Development: Materials of the I Youth Economic Forum, November 13–14, 2008, Petrozavodsk. Petrozavodsk, 2009. Pp. 36–40. (In Russian)
10. On the Preparation of the Draft Spatial Development Strategy of the Russian Federation. Available at: http://council.gov.ru/activity/activities/roundtables/91271/ (accessed 13 June 2018). (In Russian)
11. A Decree Was Signed to Abolish the Ministry of Regional Development of Russia. Available at: http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/46574 (accessed 23 August 2018). (In Russian)
12. The Certificate of Honor of the Russian Academy of Science Was Received. Available at: https://zao.mos.ru/presscenter/news/detail/6557280.html (accessed 23 August 2018). (In Russian)
13. Problems of State Policy of Regional Development of Russia. Materials of the All-Russian Scientific Conference. Moscow, April 4, 2008. Moscow, 2008. 1078 p. (In Russian)
14. The Work on the Spatial Development Strategy Until 2025 Will Be Completed by the End of the Year. Available at: http://tass.ru/forumsochi2018/articles/4961537 (accessed 23 August 2018). (In Russian)
15. Regional Development: The Experience of Russia and the European Union. Ed. by A.G. Granberg. Moscow, 2000. 438 p. (In Russian)
16. Solovieva Yu.V. Development of Regional Economic Growth Theory: Comparative Characteristics. Vestnik Instituta ekonomiki i upravleniya NovGU [Bulletin of the Institute of Economics and Management of the Novgorod State University]. 2015. No. 2. Pp. 44–49. (In Russian)
17. Timofeev P.T. Regional Policy of the State: Some Problems of Development and Implementation. Sotsiologiya vlasti [Sociology of Power]. 2010. No. 8. Pp. 6–16. (In Russian)
18. Shtulberg B.M., Vvedensky V.G. Regional Policy of Russia: Theoretical Bases, Tasks and Methods of Implementation. Moscow, 2000. 206 p. (In Russian)
19. An Agenda for a Reformed Cohesion Policy. A Place-Based Approach to Meeting European Union Challenges and Expectations. Independent Report Prepared at the Request of Danuta Hubner, Commissioner for Regional Policy by Fabrizio Barca. April, 2009. 29 р.
20. Ascani A., Crescenzi R., Iammarino S. Regional Economic Development: A Review. WP 1/03. Search Working Paper. January 2012. 26 р.
21. Barca F., McCann P., Rodriguez-Pose A. The Case for Regional Development Interventions: Place-Based Versus Place-Neutral Approaches. Journal of Regional Science. 2012. Vol. 52. No. 1. Pр. 134–152.
22. Clark G., Huxley J., Mountford D. Organising Local Development: The Role of Local Development Agencies and Companies. Paris: OECD Publishing, 2010. 493 p.
23. Garretsen H., McCann P., Martin R., Tyler P. The Future of Regional Policy. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society. 2013. No. 6. Pр. 179–186.
24. Drejer I, Laursen L.L.H. A Place-Based Approach to Smart Specialisation in Non-Urban Territories. Available at: https://www.ike.aau.dk/digitalAssets/279/279219_ina_seminar_27022017.pdf (accessed 19 May 2018).
25. Luoto I., Virkkala S. Place-based Regional Development as a Strategic Guideline. Publications of Economic Affairs and Employment MEAE 6/2017. Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment Enterprise and Regional Development Department. 14 p.
26. McCann P., Ortega-Argiles R. Smart Specialisation, Regional Growth and Applications to EU Cohesion Policy. Available at: https://danube-inco.net/object/document/1517/attach/s3_mccann_ortega.pdf (accessed 19 May 2018).
27. OECD. Regions Matter: Economic Recovery, Innovation and Sustainable Growth. Paris: OECD Publishing, 2009. 197 p.
28. Pike A., Rodriguez-Pose A., Tomaney J. Local and Regional Development. London: Routledge, 2006. 328 p.
29. Pike A., Rodriguez-Pose A., Tomaney J. What Kind of Local and Regional Development and for Whom? Regional Studies. 2007. Vol. 41. No. 9. Pp. 1253–1269.
30. Pugalis L., Gray N. New Regional Development Paradigm: An Exposition of Place-Based Modalities. Australasian Journal of Regional Studies. 2016. Vol. 22. No. 1. Pp. 181–203.
31. Ray C. Culture, Intellectual Property and Territorial Rural Development. Sociologia Ruralis. 1998. Vol. 38. No. 1. Pp. 3–20.
32. Rodriguez-Pose A. Economists as Geographers and Geographers as Something Else: On the Changing Conception of Distance in Geography and Economics. Journal of Economic Geography. 2011. Vol. 11. No. 2. Pp. 347–356.
33. Rodriguez-Pose A., Crescenzi R. Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe. Regional Studies. 2008. Vol. 42. No. 1. Pp. 51–67.
34. Rodriguez-Pose A., Wilkie C. Revamping Local and Regional Development through Place-based Strategies. Available at: https://penniur.upenn.edu/uploads/media/Rodriguez-Pose_-_Wilkie_PennIUR-Philly_Fed_working_paper_091616.pdf (accessed 9 July 2018).
35. Storper M. The Regional World: Territorial Development in a Global Economy. New York: Guilford Press, 1997. 338 p.
36. The Shock of the Global: The 1970s in Perspective. Ed. by N. Ferguson, C.S. Mair, E. Manela, D.J. Sargent. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2010. 448 р.
37. Tomaney J. Place-Based Approaches to Regional Development: Global Trends and Australian Implications. A Report for the Australian Business Foundation. November 2010. Sydney: Australian Business Foundation Limited, 2010. 34 p.
38. Ulltveit-Moe K.H. Live and Let Die – Industrial Policy in a Globalised World. Available at: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.581.1276&rep=rep1&type=pdf (accessed 7 August 2018).
39. Vanthillo T., Verhetsel A. Paradigm Change in Regional Policy: Towards Smart Specialisation? Lessons from Flanders (Belgium). Available at: http://belgeo.revues.org/7083 (accessed 23 May 2018).
40. Where Is Regional Policy Going? Changing Concepts of Regional Policy. Paper Presented for Discussion at the Twenty-Second Meeting of Sponsors of the European Research Center To Be Held at Ross Priory, Los Lomondside on 8 and 9 October 2001. Glasgow: University of Strathclyde, 2001. 29 р.