ERI FEB RAS
|Regionalistica 2022 Volume 9 number 2 pages 63-80|
|Title of the article||Russian-Chinese Trade and Joint Projects in the Russian Far East|
|Author||Suslov Denis Vladimirovich
candidate of sciences (economics), senior research fellow
Economic Research Institute FEB RAS
153, Tikhookeanskaya Street, Khabarovsk, Russia, 680042
|Abstract||The article analyzed the dynamics and structure of trade interactions in the traditional commodity niches of the Far East of the Russian Federation in the PRC market in 2020–2021, considering the pandemic of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19). It was established that crisis phenomena did not cause a significant change in the structure of trade in the Russian Far East and China, while its dynamic characteristics in 2020 in general trade and export were preserved positive, and the fall was recorded in imports. But already at the end of 2021, mutual trade showed a significant growth rate – 28,1%. The content of promising projects is given as part of the implementation of the current program for the development of Russian-Chinese cooperation for 2018–2024. The problems of economic interactions of the PRC with the Far East of Russia and the implementation of projects of Russian-Chinese cooperation are also considered. The activation of Russian- Chinese relations in trade and implementation of investment projects could be achieved at the expense of the next. Firstly, in the practical plane it is necessary to scale the mechanisms of economic interactions that have developed and justified themselves for new regions. Secondly, to achieve a general understanding of both opportunities and barriers, risks of implementing joint projects. Thirdly, to continue to improve the business environment of Russian-Chinese cooperation as part of the development of institutional regimes for implementing investment projects and reducing barriers in mutual trade.|
|Keywords||economic interactions ♦ trade ♦ investments ♦ Far East of the Russian Federation ♦ North-East of the PRC ♦ cooperation program ♦ projects|
|For citation||Suslov D.V. Russian-Chinese Trade and Joint Projects in the Russian Far East. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2022. Vol. 9. No. 2. Pp. 63–80. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/reg.2022.2.63 (In Russian)|
|References||1. Alexandrova M.V. The Program of Cooperation of Related Territories of Russia and China: History, Facts, Ways of Implementation. In: China in World and Regional Politics. History and Modernity. Issue 15. Moscow, 2010. Pp. 198–222. (In Russian)
2. Gelbras V.G. Chinese Labor Migration to Russia: What It Promises to Our Country. Aziya i Afrika segodnya = Asia and Africa Today. 2016. No. 5. Pp. 50–54. (In Russian)
3. Zuenko I.Yu. Center-Local Relations in China: Some Aspects of the Problem (In the Context of Silk Road Economic Belt Development). Izvestiya Vostochnogo instituta [Oriental Institute Journal]. 2016. No. 2 (30). Pp. 4–12. (In Russian)
4. Izotov D.A., Suslov D.V. So Far, Only Intentions: The First Results of the Implementation of the Cooperation Program Between the Eastern Regions of Russia and the North-East of the PRC (2009–2018). EKO [ECO Journal]. 2011. No. 3 (441). Pp. 160–178. (In Russian)
5. Minakir P. Low-Hanging Fruits. Ekspert [Expert]. 2017. No. 20 (1029). Available at: http://expert.ru/expert/2017/20/nizko-visyaschie-fruktyi/ (accessed 5 February 2022). (In Russian)
6. Muratshina K.G. The Programme of Cooperation Between Russian Far East and Eastern Siberia and Chinese North-Eastern Regions (2009–2018) and Its Role, Evolution and Risks in the Russian-Chinese Cross-Border Interaction. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta = Tomsk State University Journal. 2017. No. 417. Pp. 110–120. (In Russian)
7. Prokapalo O.M., Bardal A.B., Isaev A.G., Mazitova M.G., Suslov D.V. Economic Situation in the Far Eastern Federal District in 2020. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika = Spatial Economics. 2021. No. 2. Pp. 81–126. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/se.2021.2.081-126 (In Russian)
8. Russian-Chinese Dialogue: The 2016 Model: Report No. 25 / 2016. Moscow, 2016. 93 p. (In Russian)
9. Russian-Chinese Dialogue: The 2017 Model: Report No. 33 / 2017. Moscow, 2017. 167 p. (In Russian)
10. Russia – China Dialogue: The 2021 Model: Report No. 70 / 2021. Moscow, 2021. 201 p. (In Russian)
11. Suslov D.V. Russian-Chinese Economic Relations: Current Situation. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika = Spatial Economics. 2018. No. 4. Pp. 139–161. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/se.2018.4.139-161 (In Russian)
12. Baev P.K. Russia’s Pivot to China Goes Astray: The Impact on the Asia-Pacific Security Architecture. Contemporary Security Policy. 2016. Vol. 37. No. 1. Pp. 89–110.
13. Malle S. Economic Transformation in Russia and China: How Do We Compare Success? Eurasian Geography and Economics. 2008. Vol. 49. No. 4. Pp. 410–444.
14. Minakir P.A. Prospects and Limitations of Russo-Chinese Economic Relations. The Asan Forum. 2017. No. 5. Available at: http://www.theasanforum.org/prospects-and-limitations-of-russo-chinese-economic-relations/ (accessed 5 February 2022).
15. Suslov D. Problems and Perspectives of Economic Relations Between China and Russia. Journal of Siberian and Far Eastern Studies. 2016. No. 15. Pp. 54–81.
16. Liu S., Ma Y., Zhong J. Zhong e yanbian diqu jichu sheshi jianshe zhuangkuang kaocha ji fenxi (Investigation and Analysis of the Creation of the Russian-Chinese Cross-Border Infrastructure). Ou ya jingji [Economics of Russia, Eastern Europe and Central Asia]. 2017. No. 1. Pp. 66–73. (In Chinese)