ERI FEB RAS
|Regionalistica 2021 Volume 8 number 5 pages 5-17|
|Title of the article||The Impact Assessment of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Foreign Trade Between Russia and the Asia-Pacific Countries|
|Author||Tomilov Mikhail Vladimirovich
candidate of sciences (economics), junior researcher
Economic Research Institute FEB RAS
153, Tikhookeanskaya Street, Khabarovsk, Russia, 680042
|Abstract||The article represents the assessment of the COVID-19 pandemic impact on foreign trade in goods in the Asia-Pacific region. As a result, it is concluded that the developed countries of the region with a strong dependence on global production chains suffered the greatest damage. At the same time, the least developed ones showed positive dynamics due to the later arrival of the pandemic. The European Union share in the Russian trade turnover has significantly decreased, while the Asia-Pacific countries share, on the contrary, has increased. However, a detailed analysis of the Russian exports commodity structure showed that these positive results were achieved due to an increase in the supply of traditional goods, but not exports diversification by products and directions.|
|Keywords||foreign trade ♦ export ♦ import ♦ COVID-19 ♦ APR ♦ CPTPP ♦ RCEP|
|For citation||Tomilov M.V. The Impact Assessment of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Foreign Trade Between Russia and the Asia-Pacific Countries. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2021. Vol. 8. No. 5. Pp. 5–17. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/reg.2021.5.5 (In Russian)|
|References||1. Kvashnina I.A. The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Global Economy and Foreign Direct Investment Flows. Vestnik Instituta Ekonomiki Rossiyskoy akademii nauk [The Bulletin of the Institute of Economics of the Russian Academy of Sciences]. 2020. No. 4. Pp. 166–175. http://dx.doi.org/10.24411/2073-6487-2020-10049 (In Russian)
2. Obolenskiy V.P. Foreign Trade of Russia amid and after the Pandemic. Rossiyskiy vneshneekonomicheskiy vestnik [Russian Foreign Economic Journal]. 2020. No. 10. Pp. 7–17. http://dx.doi.org/10.24411/2072-8042-2020-10097 (In Russian)
3. Tomilov M.V. The Assessment of Trade Barriers Within Prospective Integration Unions in the Asia-Pacific Region. Regionalistica [Regionalistics]. 2019. Vol. 6. No. 3. Pp. 66–79. http://dx.doi.org/10.14530/reg.2019.3.66 (In Russian)
4. Tomilov M.V. Prospects for Deepening of Trade Integration Between the EAEU Participants and the Asia-Pacific Countries. Vlast’ i upravlenie na Vostoke Rossii [Power and Administration in the East of Russia]. 2020. No. 3 (92). Pp. 32–43. http://dx.doi.org/10.22394/1818-4049-2020-92-3-32-43 (In Russian)
5. Ushkalova D.I. Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Russia’s Foreign Trade and on Integration Processes in the Cis Region. Vestnik Instituta Ekonomiki Rossiyskoy akademii nauk [The Bulletin of the Institute of Economics of the Russian Academy of Sciences]. 2020. No. 6. Pp. 41–51. http://dx.doi.org/10.24411/2073-6487-2020-10068 (In Russian)
6. Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Trends 2020/2021. Trade in Goods Outlook in Asia and the Pacific. Available at: https://www.unescap.org/sites/default/d8files/knowledge-products/APTIT%20Trade%20in%20goods_21Dec.pdf (accessed 11 August 2021).
7. Key Statistics and Trends in International Trade 2020. Trade Trends Under the COVID-19 Pandemic. Available at: https://unctad.org/system/files/official-document/ditctab2020d4_en.pdf (accessed 25 July 2021).
8. OECD Economic Outlook. 2020. Vol. 2020. Issue 2. No. 108. 264 p. https://doi.org/10.1787/39a88ab1-en
9. World Economic Outlook: A Long and Difficult Ascent. 2020. October. Available at: https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/Issues/2020/09/30/world-economic-outlook-october-2020#Full%20Report%20 and%20Executive%20Summary (accessed 31 July 2021).
|Financing||The article was prepared with the financial support of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Khabarovsk Territory (Agreement No. 57C / 2021 of July 28, 2021, on the provision of a grant for the implementation of a project in the field of scientific research in the direction of humanitarian and social sciences in 2021).|